Dr. John McKenna is an award-winning educator and international, national, and regional speaker from Western New York. He has presented throughout the world, including Oxford, England at Oxford University, in Jerusalem, Israel at the Van Leer Education Conference, and at the Hanban / Confucius Institute in Beijing, China, to name just a few. He is currently an Assistant Professor at Niagara University in the Educational Leadership and Policy Department.
For his service, he has been honored with many prestigious leadership positions and awards including but not limited to: (Additional Leadership positions, Awards, and Degrees / Certifications listed below).
- President of the School Administrators Association of New York State (SAANYS)
- President of the Graduate School of Education Alumni Association for SUNY at Buffalo
- President of the Committee to Identify and Develop Educational Leaders (CIDEL)
- President of Phi Delta Kappa (Buffalo State Chapter)
- Board of Directors for the International Society for Educational Planning (ISEP)
- Board of Directors SUNY at Buffalo
- The New York State Outstanding Educator from the School Administrators Association of New York State (SAANYS)
- The International Presidential Award as Distinguished Principal of the Year from PHI Delta Kappa
- The Honorary Lifetime Achievement Award from Kappa Delta PI
- The Honorary Life Membership Award and the Advocate in Action Award from the New York State PTA
- Two Distinguished Alumni Achievement Awards from SUNY at Buffalo
- New York State Senate Resolution and Proclamation for Distinguished Service
- The Shooting Star Outstanding Achievement Award from the Make-A-Wish Foundation
Throughout his career which has spanned over 35 years, he has served as an Acting Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Principal, Assistant Principal, Dean of Students, Teacher, and Coach. He has published books, book chapters, and published articles internationally, nationally and regionally.